The enemy only comes to steal, kill, and destroy. This could not be seen more clearly than in the situation many Nigerian Christians currently find themselves in. According to the Barnabus Fund, two church buildings were burnt down in Grossi, Nigeria, while 67 houses, two shops, and various livestock were destroyed. On top of this, motorbikes were stolen and grain stores were damaged.
But as these people fear for their lives and grieve those whom they have lost, they haven’t seemed to lose their faith in Jesus. While they have voiced their fears and concerns about Boko Haram coming back until “[they are] finished with us,” they have not forsaken their love for Jesus.
It reminds me of the story of Job in the Bible—a man who God allowed to experience extreme suffering, heartbreak, and reproach. He was completely honest with God, voicing his pain and even at times asking God why it all happened in the first place.
The beautiful thing in all of this? Jesus can, and does, handle the anger, despair, and pain we bring Him. More than this, Jesus is using our trials and pain to make something beautiful and redemptive.
These people live in a world of uncertainty about when Boko Haram will strike next. This no doubt fills them with concern and fear. But ultimately, God is in control—and they can trust in Him. Let us cover and surround them in prayer, that they would not let go of Jesus, but would be kept safe by Him.
Do you know Jesus?
Our God is a redemptive, sovereign God, who stopped at nothing to save us and bring us to know Him. Learn more about Jesus, and God’s redemptive plan, here.
Please pray for (find the prayer sheet here)…
- Northern Nigerians, especially those in targeted towns like Grossi.
- Boko Haram’s destruction—and that its members would turn and accept Jesus as Lord and Savior over their lives.
- The Chibok girls and Leah Sharibu, who still lie in Boko Haram captivity.
- The Nigerian military, that they would be use mightily to stop Boko Haram and would be given favor.
- The Nigerian government, that they would continue to push for the annihilation of all terrorism.
Thank you for your prayers!!!