Dear Friends and Followers,
Today, I asked myself what love is. I’ve been asking myself this question for awhile, pertaining to some circumstances in my life. I’ve made it a prayer of mine, that I would find out what Love truly is.
I was going to go off and study about it for a while, and I still might do that. But, recently, the Holy Spirit has shown me in the details of things what love is.
On June 28th, it was reported by the nonprofit, the Barnabus Fund, that Christians everywhere in West Africa, from Burkina Faso to Niger to Nigeria, are undergoing barbaric persecution. The Barnabus fund not only wrote the report, sharing with the world what is happening in this unbeknownst area of the world, but they are also working to provide aid to the Christian Church in these areas.
Love sometimes takes vulnerability. It means taking risks. It means giving oneself away for the betterment of the other, as 1 Corinthians 13:5 says. Love is more than a feeling. It takes real action, as seen by the Barnabus Fund’s generosity and diligence.
Looking at how the Barnabus Fund is giving themselves away in service made a very profound effect on me. And though it seems so obvious, it was then that I realized and remembered that God is Love. So here, I am writing down who I have discovered God to be to me, recently, from the Bible.
- Jesus doesn’t bring up my past mistakes. In fact, once I ask for forgiveness, He forgives them and hurls them to the bottom of the sea (Hebrews 8:12; Micah 7:19).
- Jesus’ Love is loyal. Through thick and thin, He has remained right by my side, just as He promised (Hebrews 13:5).
- As shown by the previous point, Jesus keeps every promise He makes (Numbers 23:19).
- Jesus accepts me just as I am, and Loves me through all of my sinful, selfish ways (Romans 5:8).
There’s definitely more… but I realize now that because this is who my God is, I can ask anything of Him—and He can do far more than I could ever think or imagine (Ephesians 3:20). Knowing that I have a loving God on my side, a God who is in fact Love itself, shows me perfectly what true Love is– and spurs me on to love like He does.
Though I cannot live up to these standards in my human frailty, it is a comfort knowing that Jesus accepts, loves, and frees me, just as I am.
Brothers and sisters, let’s rejoice, that in this dark, lost world, we have a rock-hard, consistent, true picture of what Love looks like—and how it looks in action. May it inspire us to Love like Jesus.
I leave you guys with this praise song that I find to be very relevant.
For all those in the US, have a great Fourth of July. Love you all in Christ!
Your Sister in Him,
Do you know Jesus?
“Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”
(John 15:13, NIV)
Jesus, God Himself, came to earth to die for our sins. Learn more about Jesus, and His Love for you, here.
Please pray for (The prayer sheet can be found here)…
- Those currently being persecuted in West Africa, including Burkina Faso and Niger as well as Nigeria.
- That the Barnabas Fund would continue to be able to do work in these areas.
- That Boko Haram would soon free the Chibok girls and Leah Sharibu.
Thank you for all your prayers!